Thursday, July 14, 2011
Monday, July 4, 2011
I made this dress a while ago, in May of this year, but thought I would share it.
The sun was really bright and I had to shield my eyes.
Here is my review of Simplicity 2250:
Pattern Description: Misses' Dress in two lengths, jacket and tie belt. I made view B, which is the shorter version of the dress with the narrow straps. This is a Cynthia Rowley designer pattern.
Pattern Sizing:H5 (6-14) R5 (14-22)
I made size 8. My measurements indicated that I should make a size 10 but I often find that size 8 fits me better.
White invisible zipper.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy to follow. For the construction of this dress it is important to follow the order outlined in the instructions. Be sure to mark all of the darts and pleats on the bodice front carefully so that everything matches up correctly.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved the interesting darts, pleats and seams of the bodice. It is a very interesting way to shape the bodice and looks really good. And POCKETS!! I love dresses that have pockets.
A yellow Ralph Lauren cotton/lycra sateen from Elliott Berman Textiles. This fabric was a little too thick for this pattern as the ties don't really tie like they should. Instead of tying them I made a band that I feed the ties through to keep them together and look like they are tied. I lined it with white cotton batiste (bodice only) and for the interlining used a white 100% cotton broadcloth. Some others have wondered why the pattern has you interline the bodice front and I think that it is to give the bodice a solid structure/base.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I finger pressed all of the darts/pleats/seams as indicated in the pattern as I was sewing them but after the front part of the bodice was completed I lightly pressed it with an iron. Beause my fabric was thicker I think it needed the iron pressing to look nice.
- I didn't interface the upper bodice pieces that create the sweatheart neckline.
- I didn't cut the straps on the bias as the pattern indicated and it worked out fine.
Yes!! It's such a cute dress and I feel very pretty and feminine in it.
This weekend I started working on Vogue 1190, the Tracy Reese ruffle dress. My cousin Lisa is getting married in August and I needed something to wear and this dress has been on my sewing list for a while. The fabric I'm using is a navy ombre stripe by Marc Jacobs from Elliott Berman Textiles. It's a cotton/lycra sateen with a subtle stripe.
Friday I cut the dress out and Saturday I started sewing the back pieces together and getting the ruffles ready for hem. On Sunday I stitched all the darts and pleats on the bodice, hemmed half the ruffles and attached them to the bodice, cut and sewed on the waistband piece.
Here is a picture of where I left off:
Sunday, July 3, 2011
Last year we, my partner Owen and I, did a lot of canning and have plans for more this year. Strawberries are ripe right now and Owen really wanted to make some strawberry jam so yesterday we went to Proulx Berry Farm to pick some strawberries. We ended up picking 6 4L baskets. Two of those went in to making delicious jam. Two will be frozen and two will be eaten fresh.
Here is Owen taking the tops off the berries for the jam.
And this is all of the jam we made: 11 half pints and 7 pints.
Later in the summer we have plans to make blueberry jam, raspberry jam, dill beans, grape juice and hot salsa.