Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Ella Moss Knit Top

I finished my version of the Ella Moss top and it was very easy to do.
I did use different colours for my top. Instead of black I used a navy fabric and the accent colours are obviously different too. Here is a picture of me wearing the top.



New Look 6702Pattern Description:
Misses' Knit Tops

Pattern Sizing:
6-16. I made size 6 (size 16 at the hips for more material, see below) though by my measurements I should have made a size 10. I find the commercial pattern companies have a lot of ease so I went down a couple of sizes. This way there was zero ease. The pattern was supposed to have 1 1/2" of ease.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes and no. It has the same silhouette mostly but I made some changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?For the most part. The instructions for the twist were a little vague and I wasn't sure I was doing it properly but it turned out ok.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the pattern because it was almost the same as my inspiration top. It was going to be very easy to adjust it.

Fabric Used:
Cotton lycra knits from Fabricville.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I changed the sleeves to 3/4 and went out to the size 16 at the hip to give some more flow to the skirt pieces. I changed the back to have an empire waist with gathers. I added 2 1/2" to the lower back piece to give it the gathers. Here is a lightened photo of the finished back so you can see the details.


For the lower front, I split the pattern into three pattern pieces instead of one.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This is a very easy pattern that looks quite cute. The twist seems a little daunting but turns out ok. This pattern worked quite well for me.


No comments: